July 3 – September 1, 2017
“Fight the good fight of faith.” 1 Timothy 6:12a (NIV)
This summer we are having a prayer watch, and its focus is MEN! We’re praying that men would rise up across our city and fight for their families and marriages, to fight for their churches and for our city, AND to fight for their own personal courageous walk with Jesus Christ (against substance addictions, pornography, lust, fear, shame, selfishness, pride, etc.). Thanks for joining us! Thanks for being willing to pray for the men in your life! Thanks for praying for the men in our city!
Why prayer for men?
Obviously, women and children need prayer as well. And though we are focusing our prayer on men, we do so because when God gets a hold of a man’s heart, the impact ripples through everything they do, from their marriage to their family, their job, and their purpose and passion in life.
So here are some ways you can be praying these next eight weeks!
Men in your life (and if you’re a man, that includes you!)
- Pray for those men you know who need a miracle! Whether it is for their healing, for their salvation, for their marriage, family, or broken relationship with their kids, siblings or parents. Ask audaciously for God to do what man can’t do! (Habakkuk 3:2)
- Pray that their cold (or lukewarm) hearts would to be ignited with a passion for Jesus and come back to their first love (Revelation 2:4, 3:15-16).
- Pray for purity of thought and deeds (Matthew 5:8, Hebrews 12:2, 2 Corinthians 10:5).
- Pray that God would fan into flame the gifts that He has placed in their life (2 Timothy 1:6).
- Pray that God would break the strongholds of money over their lives (1 Timothy 6:9-10).
- Pray that these men would draw near to God as uninhibited, unashamed, warriors of prayer and worship (1 Timothy 2:8).
- Pray that God would increase the faith in men to seek Him wholeheartedly and to please Him (Hebrews 11:6)
Men in Athens (and your city if you live elsewhere)
Many men need jobs. This affects their self-worth, and everyone around them. Jobs would help alleviate the high incidence of black men being arrested in Athens, as most of those being incarcerated are unemployed. Pray that God would release wisdom in our city that will increase jobs and place men in the right ones!
- There are many men who have walked out on their marriages and families. Pray that God would draw them home to their wives & families.
- Pray for the men who are in jail, homeless or on the run.
- Pray for the men who are addicted to substances, gambling or pornography, sports, entertainment, etc.
- Pray that God would pour out grace on those who are strong in the faith to invest in other men (2 Timothy 2:2).
- Pray that men would commit themselves to the Lord, to their marriages & families, to their church and to those around them.
- Pray that there would be a revival/awakening of men giving themselves 100% to the Lord, and to rise up as warriors for their marriages, families, jobs, church and our city!
- Pray for pastors, especially as they work with and equip men to be warriors.
Fresh Wind Recovery Ministry
This is an eight-week 24/7 course for men who are recovering from various substance addictions. It starts on July 3 and is being held at Living Hope during the day. During off hours, the men will be housed (and supervised) together in a local venue. Staff members and prayer teams will pray with and for addicts every day. Addicts will worship and engage in several hours of Bible study each day. Addicts will learn about and give time each day serving others. For more information check out freshwindrecovery.org.
- Pray for the men who are a part of it. Pray that God would meet them right where they are, and set them free. Pray that the chains of addiction would fall off of each addict.
- Pray for those who will be leading it (Jerry Kizer and his team). There will be quite a few folks helping out, from Bible study teachers, to worship leaders, to prayer team members, to counselors, and others.
- Pray that God would breathe on this ministry and allow it to be fruitful and ultimately impact (transform) multitudes of men across our city.
- Pray for protection over each addict and leader, as well as over both the daytime and nighttime facilities.
The Heart of a Man
On Tuesday, July 25 at 7pm, Living Hope will be showing the soon to be released movie (in theaters this September), The Heart of a Man, which will be addressing specific issues men struggle with. Pastors, their spouses and key leaders are invited to this special showing. Justin Torrence, one of the actors in it, will be present to discuss how to use the movie to open up ministry opportunities. Please be praying that God would use this movie in our city to set men free from lust, shame, pornography, etc. To catch the preview trailer check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYDvRgj35OM
If you haven’t already done so, and would like to officially participate in the summer watch, please go to www.slottr.com/sheets/6659079.
If you need to be reminded of what time you signed up for (the slottr sign-up sheet is not allowing folks to see who has signed up), just let me know and I’ll check it for you.
Thank you for praying for men this summer. Your prayers matter to those men around you, as well as ones you may not meet this side of eternity! May the Lord meet you in tangible ways as you focus your prayers this summer! Please keep up on Facebook at www.facebook.com/groups/1423907481169281/
Bless you heaps!